As parents, we know how rough and tumble kids can be. We also know that with the risks and falls they go through, bruises usually follow.
But we also know how annoying and sometimes painful bruises can be to manage. If we don’t leave them alone completely to heal, we run the risk of the bruises getting bigger and lasting longer.
And we all know how our kids act with a bruise. They have to poke it, touch it, show everyone, pinch at the skin, and do everything to make it worse.
So how do we manage the symptoms of bruises and swelling naturally and effectively? With essential oils. For hundreds of years, essential oils have been trusted to relieve aches and pains associated with various elements. Thankfully, they’re still around and are useful and effective as ever.
Today we are going to talk to you about bruising, swelling, and all about the best essential oils to use to mitigate signs and symptoms of swelling and bruising.
What Exactly Is a Bruise?
Bruises are a common skin injury among adults and kids alike.
Bruises occur under the skin, appearing as discoloration on the surface. The discoloration occurs from broken or damaged blood cells. These blood cells then gather together and form a cluster near the surface, giving off a black and blue appearance.
Wellness & Cognitive
Shop Our Wellness & CognitiveShop Now
Typical with a fresh bruise is pain and tenderness around the area. Even though the skin hasn’t been pierced, it has suffered an abrasion beneath the surface. As it begins to heal, the pain and tenderness will subside.
Many times with severe or intense bruising, a decent amount of swelling is also likely. This, too, will fade with time and healing.
What Are the Stages of Bruising?
Bruises go through discoloration in stages. The coloring is also synonymous with the stage of healing your extremity is experiencing.
The stages are:
- First, the affected area will be red
- Next, the color will deepen, and the bruise will appear black/purple and blue
- This will slowly turn to green
- Then fade to yellow as the final stage before disappearing
Typical Causes of Bruises
There are quite a few ways to obtain a bruise. The most common include:
- Rigorous exercise, most common among weight/powerlifters and bodybuilders
- Bumping into sharp or strong objects
- Fights or physical altercations with other individuals
- Physical contact sports
- Common in the elderly as their skin becomes thinner and bodies weaken
- Common among those on blood thinners or medications that cause the blood to thin temporarily
When To Be Worried
For the most part, bruises are just an occurrence that comes with daily activities. We don’t expect to get them every day, but with a healthy and active lifestyle, bruises will happen.
There are two instances, however, when bruises could mean something more:
The first is with a blood disorder. If you have a bleeding disorder, you will experience intense and frequent bruising and are more prone to bleeding gums and bloody noses.
The second is anemia. This is a lack of oxygen-rich blood in the body. Due to this, the body cannot produce a healthy amount of red blood cells.
Three types of anemia can happen:
- Iron deficiency
- B-12 deficiency
- Hemolytic anemia: a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be produced
There are treatments for each of these, and sometimes diet is the culprit. This is especially common for iron-related anemia, as an unhealthy diet or heavy amounts of junk food, common in children, can create this issue.
If you have trouble keeping your little ones on track, add a CravePatch to their clothing. The all-natural blend of essential oils will help them curb those sugar cravings and instead reach for snacks rich in vitamins and minerals that the body needs to thrive.
What Exactly Is Swelling?
Swelling is the body’s reaction to an injury. These injuries can be direct, like a twisted ankle or bruised body part. They can also be a bi-product of another issue, such as a bee sting or healing after surgery.
Anytime your body is injured, your body responds by sending fluid to the area in an attempt to heal. In standard cases of swelling, the best response is PRICE:
- Protection from further injury
- Compression for pain support
- Elevation to decrease swelling
Standard Causes of Swelling
Swelling can occur for a number of normal or standard reasons. These include:
- Bee sting or insect bite — very common for those with a bug bite allergy
- Food allergies
- Hormonal changes
It is quite common for environmental allergies to lead to swelling if left untreated. If you find yourself suffering from symptoms, reach for our AllergyPatch. These are designed to trigger fast responses from the immune system to stop symptoms of allergies fast. Each patch lasts up to eight hours at a time.
If you find that you suffer from a more intense allergic reaction due to insect bites, you’ll need strong protection that is natural and can go with you everywhere. For this, you’ll want to add our BuzzPatch to your daily attire. This citronella-based essential oil blend is proven to keep insects away and keep you bite-free.
When To Be Concerned About Swelling
While the above are common and the standard reasons that your body might experience swelling, there are other issues that can occur that would mean something more severe.
- Kidney disease
- Heart failure
- Anaphylaxis: severe food or environmental allergy that requires immediate medical attention
- Venomous bite or sting
These serious medical conditions could potentially require monitoring, EpiPens, and prescription medications from your healthcare provider.
If you notice swelling that cannot be explained by anything else, you will want to see your physician right away to discuss options and treatment.
Essential Oils That Help With Swelling and Bruising
When it comes to healing a bruise and swelling, the best medicine is time and rest. That can be hard for little ones, and there’s only so much a bedtime story and apple sticks can do.
If you want additional help alleviating the symptoms of bruises and swelling, your best bet is essential oils.
Some of the best essential oils for discoloration of bruising are:
- Arnica: promotes healing and reduction of bruise size and can also help return skin to its standard color faster
- Frankincense: pain-relieving and promotes the reduction of bruise size
- Lavender: has pain-relieving qualities, and many believe if used quickly after bruising occurs, healing time can shorter considerably
- Turmeric: promotes healthy and fast healing of bruise appearance and size. Also, have anti-inflammatory qualities to heal swelling and raised skin due to injury
These essential oils will help with bruising, but you came here for help relieving swelling as well. Don’t worry; we’ve got those essential oils here:
- Tea Tree Oil: Antibacterial and antimicrobial qualities can help reduce swelling associated with infections. Also promotes faster healing times
- Lavender Oil: In addition to the pain-relieving qualities, it also has anti-inflammatory benefits and helps alleviate joint pain
- Juniper Oil: anti-inflammatory properties and also proven to help alleviate joint and arthritic pains
- Geranium: helps boost mood, physical and emotional health and promotes reduction of inflamed joints and extremities
- Roman Chamomile Oil: stimulates blood flow that can help reduce inflammation as well as alleviates pain associated with joints and arthritis
How To Use Essential Oils
Essential oils are a very personal experience, and everyone has a preference on how they like to use them. For pain relief, one of the more popular ways to gain the benefits of essential oils is through direct application to the skin.
You can apply diluted essential oils directly to the affected areas to gain fast and natural relief or add them to unscented, plain lotions. After you have your diluted mixture, gently rub it into your skin to help soothe pain and discomfort.
Think of it as a massage and self-care!
At the End of the Day
The pain and discomfort that tags along with bruising and swelling aren’t fun for anyone. If your kids are suffering from either, the feelings are even worse.
We know our kids are unhappy and we feel guilty we can’t make it go away with a snap of our fingers. Thankfully, essential oils are here, and we can provide our families with pain relief at the first sign of bruising and swelling.
Being able to nip the problem in the bud before it starts is an awesome feeling.
Not all heroes wear capes, but they do wear The Natural Patch Co.